A matriculated student previously registered in the Graduate School who has failed to maintain graduate student status (on-leave status or registration) but who wishes to resume studies in their previous graduate program must submit a reinstatement request to the Graduate School.
Students approved for reinstatement must:
- Choose the quarter of reinstatement (students can submit a reinstatement request for the current academic quarter or the next academic quarter)
- Pay a $250 Reinstatement Fee to process their reinstatement.
- Register for the requested Reinstatement Quarter and maintain registration throughout the entire quarter to return to active student status.
For complete details regarding the on-leave, continuous enrollment and reinstatement policies, refer to Graduate School Policy 3.5.
- Must be an inactive matriculated graduate student wishing to return to their previous degree program. Non-matriculated, undergraduate, or active graduate students are not eligible for reinstatement.
- Must have been registered for at least one quarter of graduate study at the UW.
- Must have approval from the graduate program to reinstate.
- Must satisfy any additional graduate program policies pertaining to reinstatement.
- International students must have confirmation from the International Student Services office that an I-20 can be issued in time to meet registration deadlines.
- Original admission date was less than six years ago (for master’s students) or 10 years ago (for Ph.D. students). The Graduate School normally allows six years to complete requirements for a master’s degree and ten years for a doctoral degree. Periods spent On-Leave or out of status are included. Note: Programs may approve and process an exception to extend time limit if they are satisfied with the student’s academic progress towards their degree; a petition to the Graduate School is no longer required.
Student who do not meet these requirements are not eligible for reinstatement without a petition from their graduate program. Ineligible students should instead submit a new application for admission after consulting with their graduate program. Please note that students who meet reinstatement requirements but instead submit a new application for admission will have their application fee refunded and be assessed the $250 Reinstatement Fee.
Instructions for Requesting Reinstatement
- Consult with the graduate program advisor prior to initiating the reinstatement request to determine eligibility and any internal departmental requirements. International students on F-1 or J-1 student visas should also consult with the International Student Services office to verify ability to initiate the visa process in time to meet registration deadlines.
- With the graduate program, choose the quarter of reinstatement. Students may choose the current academic quarter or the next academic quarter.
- Complete and submit the online Request for Reinstatement via MyGrad Program.* Student will receive a confirmation email that the request has been submitted.
- Requests will be reviewed by the graduate program and, if approved, the student will receive a confirmation email that the department has approved the request.
- Return to MyGrad Program to pay the $250 Reinstatement Fee via MasterCard or Visa credit card. Student will receive a confirmation email that payment has been received. Reinstatements are processed on weekdays (excluding UW holidays).
- The $250 Reinstatement Fee must be paid no later than 11:59:59 p.m. PST on the last day of instruction to be reinstated for the requested academic quarter.
- The Graduate School will process reinstatement for the requested academic quarter. Students will receive a confirmation email that their reinstatement has been processed and their registration status for that quarter is “active.”
- Register for the quarter of reinstatement in order to maintain active status.
- Update all student contact information in MyUW Student Directory.
Information for Graduate Programs
Graduate programs are highly encouraged to develop official internal review procedures and policies to evaluate reinstatement. Reinstatement requests may be submitted and approved for any academic quarter, and candidates for reinstatement should be evaluated independently of new applicants for admission. The Reinstatement Fee for approved reinstatement requests must be paid by the student no later than the last day instruction for the reinstatement quarter, and may not be paid by the graduate program.
All current Graduate School policies apply to reinstated students at the time of reinstatement, including time-to-degree policies. The Graduate School normally allows six years to complete requirements for a master’s degree and ten years for a doctoral degree. Periods spent On-Leave or out of status are included in this time frame. However, extending a student’s time-to-degree (time limit) is at the department’s discretion, if they are satisfied the student is making good progress towards their degree. Departments may process an exception on the student’s degree audit.
Additionally, a student eligible for reinstatement may instead submit a new application for admission if they will not be applying existing credits from their previous UW coursework towards the degree.
Students eligible for reinstatement who instead submit a new application for admission without prior departmental approval and notification to the Graduate School will have their application fee refunded and instead charged the $250 Reinstatement Fee.
Revised January 11, 2023