Summer is the perfect time to make room for activities and experiences that will help you be – and feel – prepared for the coming year! The pace can feel slower during this time of the year, and there’s a little more wiggle room to be intentional about visualizing and achieving your intellectual, professional and interpersonal goals. Maybe you’re starting from scratch (or already have some initial goals) and just need a plan of action? Maybe you need some structured time and support to work on a grant proposal, finish an experiment, polish a manuscript or start your job search? Maybe you are interested in exploring the Pacific Northwest and trying some activities during the best season to live in Seattle? Or maybe you have other, non-UW responsibilities to take care of and often find it difficult to schedule time to relax and (momentarily) step away.
We encourage you to carve out some time to refuel yourself, and choose activities that would bring you energy. As we all know that self-care is important and will help with productivity.
Below are some tips and opportunities you can engage in throughout summer in Seattle.
Tips for self-care
UW Recreation opportunities
- UWild Adventures offers opportunities to attend a class or a trip, rent gear, climb at the Crags, paddle at the Waterfront, or join a club.
- UW IMA membership includes access to swimming pool, gyms, assorted courts, locker rooms, indoor track, climbing center, cardio and weight rooms and a variety of studio spaces.
Activities around Seattle
- Space Needle | Chihuly Garden and Glass | Pacific Science Center | Seattle Great Wheel | The Original Starbucks | Fremont Troll | Gum Wall | Gas Works Park
- Seafair Festival continues throughout the summer, culminating with amazing displays ranging from a Blue Angels Air show to thrilling hydroplane boat races between August 2 and 4.
- Root for Seattle Teams: Mariners, Sounders and Reign
- Foodies’ Choice: Bite of Seattle
- Golden Garden Park: beach volleyball; BBQ; kayaking; sunbathing on the sandy beach
- Alki Beach: Biking; kayaking; beach volleyball; BBQ; sunbathing on the sandy beach
- Hiking: Washington Trail Association; Public transportation options;
Museums and Free Museum Days
Movies in the Park
- Snohomish County Movies in the Park
- Pierce County Movies in the Park
- Center City Outdoor Cinema (Seattle)
The OPA newsletter is distributed monthly throughout the year. Feel free to reach out if you have something to share. And, take care of yourself!