Graduate Non-Matriculated Students – UW Graduate School Skip to content

Graduate Non-Matriculated Students

Graduate non-matriculated (GNM) status allows post baccalaureate students who are not presently seeking a graduate degree at the University of Washington to take UW graduate courses and apply the credits toward degree requirements should they later be accepted into a graduate program at the UW (Acceptance as a GNM student does not confer priority for later admission to a graduate program at the UW). GNM students may take any number of credits, however a maximum of 12 graduate-level credits may be applied toward degree requirements. Students may hold GNM status in only one graduate program at a time and may not hold any other student status while enrolled as a GNM student To find out if a graduate program accepts GNM applications, search our graduate program listing).

Persons who want to register for graduate courses at the UW, but do not plan to apply the credits they earn toward a graduate-level degree, should consider non-matriculated (NM) status: see Non-Degree Enrollment for UW Credit Classes.

Visa Status

International students seeking admission to a GNM program will not be eligible to receive an F-1 visa I-20 or the J-1 DS-2019 from the University of Washington.

Admission Requirements

Prospective GNM students must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or its equivalent from a foreign institution.
  • Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) for the last 90 graded quarter credits or 60 graded semester credits.
  • Non-native English speakers must also meet the English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirement as outlined in Graduate School Policy 3.2: Graduate School English Language Proficiency Requirements.
  • Graduate programs may have additional admission requirements.

Application Deadlines

Deadlines are determined by the faculty of each graduate program. Applicants should contact the graduate program advisor (GPA), whose contact information can be found in the graduate program listing.

Application Procedures

GNM applicants follow the same application procedures as other applicants and apply online to the Graduate School. GNM students are required to send official transcripts to the Graduate School. To find information on how to send official transcripts to the Graduate School, please refer to the Official Transcript Requirements page.

Registration Procedures

  • GNM students on the Bothell and Tacoma campuses register for classes in MyUW and must maintain continuous registration (except summer quarter) or lose their GNM status. Contact UW Bothell Registration or UW Tacoma Offce of the Registrar for information about tuition and additional fees.
  • GNM students on the Seattle campus register for classes through UW Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) and are not required to maintain continuous registration but lose their GNM status after an absence of four consecutive quarters. Contact PCE Registration Services for information about tuition and additional fees.
  • GNM students participating in the UW or state employee Tuition Exemption Program register for classes in MyUW and must maintain continuous registration (except summer quarter) or lose their GNM status. Information about tuition and additional fees can be found on the Tuition Exemption Program page.

Additional Information

  • GNM students can establish a UW NetID and a UW email account.
  • GNM students have access to the UW Libraries.
  • GNM students who wish to receive financial aid should contact the UW Offce of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) to find out if they are eligible for financial aid.
  • GNM students do not have access to the Intramural Activities (IMA) Building on the Seattle campus because this facility is supported by student service and activity fees associated with matriculated status.
  • GNM students are not eligible for student health insurance because it is restricted to students enrolled in degree programs.


Please send questions to