Call for Internal Nominations
The Western Association of Graduate Schools (WAGS) and University Microfilms International (UMI) are pleased to announce the 2023 WAGS/UMI Outstanding Innovation in Technology award.
This $1,500 award may be given either to a master’s thesis or to a doctoral dissertation and is intended to recognize the innovative application of technology to scholarship. Each member institution may submit one nomination for this award; internal UW submissions are due to the Graduate School by 5 p.m., May 3, 2023.
This award may be given either to a master’s thesis or to a doctoral dissertation for the development of an innovative technology and its utilization for the creative solution of a major problem. Each department can submit only one nomination. Nominations must be submitted by the department chair or graduate program coordinator. The UW Graduate School, in turn, will submit one nomination to the Western Association of Graduate Schools.
Guidelines for the 2023 WAGS/UMI Innovation in Technology Award
- A nominee must have earned the master’s or doctoral degree within the period of July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023. Nomination materials must include the following:
- The nomination file cover sheet
- A summary prepared by the student (100-1,500 words) describing the research and how it demonstrates innovative or creative use of technology in the conduct of scholarship. This summary should be directed to a general academic audience of non-specialists.
- Letters from the major professor and one additional faculty member. The letters should include information regarding the significance of the technological innovations in the work for the discipline, and for the student’s department and institution.
- The nominee’s CV or resume (not to exceed five pages).
- Initial screening will be based on:
- scholarly significance of the use of technology and
- overall quality.
The technological contribution to the degree program and/or the institution may also be considered. Finalists will be asked to provide three complete copies of the thesis or dissertation.
- If selected by WAGS, the award consists of a certificate, $1,500 to the recipient, and travel expenses for the student and his or her advisor to receive the award at the association’s annual meeting.
Deadline and submission method
- Originality of the study;
- Scope and significance of the study;
- Contribution to the discipline and/or profession; and
- Overall quality of the summary and abstract of the thesis or dissertation.
Deadline and submission method
The above materials must be submitted electronically, combined into a single PDF c/o firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of 5 p.m., May 3, 2023. This is a firm deadline; in fairness to all nominators, no exceptions or extensions will be granted. Additionally, hard copy nominations will not be accepted.
Please save your file in this format:
LAST NAME NOMINEE, first name nominee – Nominee’s Home Department – INNOVATION IN TECH 2023.pdf
Nomination materials should be addressed to
Dean of The Graduate School
Questions should be directed to
Assistant to the Dean