A student must maintain registration as a full-time or part-time graduate student for the quarter the degree or certificate is conferred. However, certain eligible students may be allowed to graduate the following quarter without being required to register by paying the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee.
The student must have been registered for the previous quarter and meet one of the two following criteria:
- A thesis or dissertation student has completed all Graduate School and graduate program degree requirements (courses, examinations, etc.), the thesis or dissertation has been approved for submission by the student’s committee, and the student needs additional time for formatting the document.
- A non-thesis master’s student has completed all Graduate School and graduate program degree requirements (courses, examinations, etc.), but missed the master’s degree request deadline.
3.6.2 Process Requirements
- The thesis or dissertation must be submitted in the UW ETD Administrator Site no later than 14 calendar days following the last day of the quarter in which all degree requirements were met.
- Thesis master’s students must submit a new master’s degree request within the first week (5 weekdays) of the quarter in which the student will graduate.
- Non-thesis master’s students must submit a new master’s degree request by the last day of instruction for the quarter in which the student will graduate
- All students must pay the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee by the last day of instruction for the quarter in which the student will graduate.
The following do not meet eligibility requirements for the Graduate Registration Waiver
- Students with unfinished capstone or culminating project requirements with the exception of the thesis or dissertation formatting
- Students with Incomplete coursework
- Students who were on leave the previous quarter
- Thesis or dissertation students requiring content revisions to the document
3.6.4 International Students
F-1 and J-1 students who are planning to remain in the U.S. after completing degree requirements must notify International Student Services (ISS) of the student’s new expected degree conferral date and that the student is using the Graduate Registration Waiver. ISS may need to update I-20 or DS-2019 documents to reflect the completion of degree requirements.
Policy 3.6 created: December 2022