How Do I Get a Bus Pass? – UW Graduate School Skip to content

How Do I Get a Bus Pass?

I’m an incoming graduate student, and I’m worried about getting a bus pass set up before the fall quarter. Where do I go to do this? How do I pay for my pass? —Anonymous

Welcome to UW! The bus pass, called a U-PASS, is super simple! First of all, almost all grad students are automatically qualified for it, as the pass is paid for through your Service & Activities Fee, which appears on your tuition statement. (There are some exceptions, though, and even if you don’t pay the SAF, you can buy a U-PASS separately.) Once you have your Husky ID card, and are registered for classes, simply activate your pass by tapping your card on a card reader on any bus. You must activate by Nov. 13. Here is a much fuller description of the U-PASS. If you have any questions, contact Transportation Services. And even if you don’t ride the bus, there are a myriad other benefits that come with the U-PASS, including discounts at local merchants and membership discounts with Zipcar and car2go.

Ask the Grad School Guru is an advice column for all y’all graduate and professional students. Real questions from real students, answered by real people. If the guru doesn’t know the answer, the guru will seek out experts all across campus to address the issue. (Please note: The guru is not a medical doctor, therapist, lawyer or academic advisor, and all advice offered here is for informational purposes only.) Submit a question for the column →