UW Graduate School
Master’s Degree Requirements
A student must satisfy the requirements for the degree that are in force at the time the degree is to be awarded
- Total credits required for the degree program must be completed
- All courses numbered 400-799 that are numerically graded 2.7 and above, or have a grade of Satisfactory or Credit (‘S’ or ‘CR’) count towards the total credits. 499 courses are not counted in the total credits.
- Courses graded less than 2.7 do not count towards the total credits.
- At least 18 credits must be in courses numbered 500 and above.
- 18 credits must be numerically graded in department approved 400-level courses accepted as part of the major and in 500-level courses. This excludes 499 and transfer credits.
- No more than 6 graduate level quarter credits can be transferred from other academic institutions to count towards the total credits.
- No more than 12 UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits can be applied to the total credits.
- No more than 12 credits derived from any combination of UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits and transfer credits can be applied to the total credits.
- If a student repeats a non-repeatable class, only one set of credits counts towards the total credits.
- A minimum cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 3.00 is required for a graduate degree at the University
- The Master’s Degree Request must be filed according to posted quarterly dates and deadlines.
- Must complete all degree requirements within six years
- The timeframe/clock begins on the first day of the quarter that the Graduate student uses a course to satisfy degree requirements when he/she is coded as either a Graduate Non-matriculated student (department code with class 6) or as a Graduate student (department code with class 8) in the department to which he/she is admitted.
- UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits used towards the total credits are counted in the six years.
- Quarters spent On-Leave and out of status are counted in the six years.
- Must maintain registration through the end of the quarter in which the degree is conferred or, if eligible, pay the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee.
- Thesis track students are required to take a minimum of 9 thesis credits in their total credits.
- Thesis track students are required to submit their thesis to the Graduate School. See Thesis/Dissertation Information.