Postdoc Travel Awards
New Updates! Spring 2018 Postdoc Travel Award winners and timeline for 2017-18 are posted!
The UW Office of Postdoc Affairs intends to support the professional and career development of our postdocs by supporting travel to professional meetings. Limited funds are available each quarter to help postdocs defray some conference registration and travel costs under certain circumstances. The OPA travel awards are not intended to replace grant-funded support for grant-related presentations. We are here to fill in the gaps and, in particular, to promote independence and advance postdoc careers.
If postdocs are working on a funded project, they should talk with their supervisor and request that their expenses be covered by the project. Postdocs should also explore options with their departments, schools/colleges, or professional societies to see if there are additional travel funds available.
Spring 2018 Postdoc Travel Award Winners
||Computer Science and Engineering||ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data (SIGMOD) 2018|
|Jin Xun Goh
||Psychology||Society for the Improvement of Psychological Science 2018|
||School of Oceanography||Gordon Research Conference (GRC)/Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Marine Microbes|
||Psychology||27th International Primatological Society Congress|
|Gabriella H Wolff
||Biology||2018 International Congress of Neuroethology|
Applying for Funds and Application Due Dates
Awards are competitive and based on the quality and appropriateness of the requests. To apply for an award, please fill out the Postdoc Travel Award Application Form. Applications for travel funds will be reviewed quarterly according to the deadlines below.
- Postdoc travel awards are available to assist postdocs with travel to conferences so they may present papers or posters, or to serve as invited speakers, on their independent research.
- You must be confirmed as a presenter before funds are requested, and have a UW postdoc position through the time of the meeting.
- Individual awards are limited to one every other year.
- Priority will be given to projects that would not be otherwise covered by the current funding source or the faculty supervisor’s project.
Maximum Award Amounts
$300 for regional travel
$600 for national or international travel
Application Timeline for 2017-18
|Quarter||Application Submission Open||Application Deadline||Applicants Notified By|
|Autumn 2017||Sep. 26–Dec. 1, 2017||Dec. 1, 2017||Dec. 15, 2017|
|Winter 2018||Dec. 2, 2017–Mar. 2, 2018||Mar. 2, 2018||Mar. 16, 2018|
|Spring 2018||Mar. 3–May 25, 2018||May 25, 2018||Jun. 8, 2018|
|Summer 2018||May 26–Aug. 17, 2018||Aug. 17, 2018||Aug. 31, 2018|
Note: We recommend applying for Postdoc Travel Awards the quarter before the conference.
How to Submit a Travel Award Request
You will need to include the following information in the online Award Application.
- Conference name, location and dates
- Travel budget, including registration costs, airfare/ground travel, lodging
- Title of your presentation, paper or poster
- How this work demonstrates independence.
- If you have done independent work while funded on a faculty member’s grant, we would expect the faculty member or grant to support your travel. Please specify how this work is distinct from your faculty advisor’s work, or why they are unable to financially support your professional travel.
- If you have applied for other travel funding, and if so, the amount you have requested or will be receiving.
- Statement of professional importance of your participation in this particular meeting.
After Receiving the Funds and After the Conference
Within two weeks after the conference, postdocs who receive funding must submit a short, 1-2 paragraph article about their experience at the conference for the news section of the OPA e-newsletter to the link below, please use your UW email address to login to the Google Form. We would like to include a picture from the conference if you have it. Acknowledgment of funding and a short report is an expectation of receiving the UW Postdoc Travel Award.
Please email your receipts and completed reimbursement form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Postdoc Travel Award Winners
- Luiz F. Lopes Oliveira, Chemical Engineering, 233rd Electrochemical Society Meeting
- Kevin Y Kim, American/Ethnic/Global Studies, UW Bothell, 2018 Association for Asian American Studies 38th Conference
- Kate MacDuffie, Speech and Hearing Sciences, Flux Satellite Conference
- Cameron L. Randall, Oral Health Sciences, School of Dentistry, American Association for Dental Research 47th Annual Meeting
- Mariana Smit Vega Garcia, Mathematics, American Mathematical Society Spring Eastern Sectional Meeting
- Pamela M Barrett, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Ocean Sciences 2018
- Selin Gulgoz, Psychology, Cognitive Development Society Biennial Meeting
- Sarah Margaret G Holliday, Materials Science and Engineering, African Materials Research Society Conference
- Kimberly Hreda, Rehabilitation Medicine Department, United Kingdom Stroke Forum Conference
- Constanze Kolbe, Jackson School (Stroum Jewish Studies), Association for Jewish Studies Conference
- James R Laing, STEM UW Bothell, American Association of Aerosol Research 36th Annual Conference
- Jessica Ordaz, Sawyer Seminar Postdoc – Political Science, The Newberry Borderlands and Latino/a Studies Seminar
- Peiyun Zhou, Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences, Psychonomic Society 58th Annual Meeting
- Sarah F Billington, Pharmaceutics, 21st North American ISSX Meeting
- Erin Masterson, Oral Health Sciences, 10th World Congress on Development Origins of Health and Disease
- Vanessa M. Oddo, Health Services, The Obesity Society
- Maya Rosen, Psychology, Society for Neuroscience
- Shreyas Sekar, Electrical Engineering, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) 2017
- Irina S Trukhanova, Applied Physics Lab, 22nd Biennial Society for Marine Mammalogy Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals
- Christopher D Bahl, Biochemistry, 31st Annual Symposium of The Protein Society
- Lewis A-K Barnett, School of Fishery and Aquatic Sciences, International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) Annual Science Conference
- Stacia J. Dreyer, School of Marine and Environmental Affairs, Resilience 2017
- Alex Greninger, Laboratory Medicine, Human Herpesvirus 6&7
- Elizabeth Meredith, Medicine, Cerebrovascular Biology
- Mahesh Somashekhar, Sociology, 2017 Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association
- Lisa J. Taylor-Swanson, Biomedical Informatics and Medical Education, Advancing the Precision Medicine Initiative through Acupuncture Research
- Ruitao Lin, Biostatistics, he 2nd Symposium on Early Phase Trial Design Methodology
- Matthew E. Long, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Gordon Research Seminar and Gordon Research Conference on Phagocytes
- Rachel Vickery Aaron, Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, The Society for Affective Science
- Amy E Stone, Immunology, American Association of Immunologists Annual Meeting
- Brenna N. Renn, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Society of Behavioral Medicine 2017 Annual Meeting
- Kelly M Whitaker, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Society for Social Work Research
- Heather Feldner, Mechanical Engineering, The 33rd International Seating Symposium 2017
- Caitlin M Hudac, Psychiatry, Gatlinburg Conference
- Bonnie Lau, Speech and Hearing Sciences, Association for Research in Otolaryngology Midwinter Meeting
- Cara L. McDermott, Medicine, Cambia Palliative Care Center of Excellence, Annual Assembly of American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Allison L Skinner, Psychology, Society for Personality and Social Psychology Conference
- Viktoria Taroudaki, Pediatrics, Acoustical Society of America
- Gavin Tierney, Goodlad Institute for Educational Renewal, American Educational Research Association
- Phillip Baker, Psychology, Neuroscience 2016
- Michael Beyeler, UW Institute for Neuroengineering, Neuroscience 2016
- Elizabeth Duke, Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Infectious Disease Week
- Ping C. Mamiya, Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences, International Mind, Brain and Education Society
- Jennifer Shaver, Behavioral Research & Therapy Clinics, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy
- Mary Wallingford, Bioengineering, International Vascular Biology Meeting