Graduate School Holistic Admissions Workshops
Thank you to those who participated in the workshop on Wednesday, November 8, 2017
Tri-campus faculty and members of departmental admissions committees heard a brief panel discussion of a range of departmental experiences with holistic admissions. They worked in small groups to identify challenges and opportunities for revising approaches to graduate admissions. Challenges discussed included large numbers of applicants, limited review time, financial constraints, and identifying predictors of graduate student success. Each attendee gained concrete strategies for conducting reviews (even with large numbers of applicants) and improving questions on applications.
Reactions to the Holistic Admissions Workshop:
- “I learned there are other departments doing/considering holistic application review.”
- “Predicting success in grad school depends on many factors (probably things we don’t ask for in application materials).”
- “I liked hearing how people modified questions on the personal statement so students can speak to research & overcoming challenges.”
- “I like thinking about using the match between student and program; articulating research and resources they need to get to their goals.”
We will continuously update these resources, so check this space often. If you have resources to add, please send them to Kelly Edwards, Graduate School Associate Dean.
- Holistic Admissions Workshop Slides
- Bioengineering Faculty Handout: Introduction to Holistic Admissions
- Holistic Admissions Selected References
- New Report Highlights Promise of Holistic Graduate Admissions to Increase Diversity (Council of Graduate Schools article)
Stay Tuned for Next Steps
Planning for the next Holistic Admissions Workshop is underway! Be sure to check the Graduate School Diversity and Inclusion webpage for the date and time of this important workshop.