UW Graduate School
Master’s Degree Requirements
A student must satisfy the requirements for the degree that are in force at the time the degree is to be awarded
- Total credits required for the degree program must be completed
- All courses numbered 400-799 that are numerically graded 2.7 and above, or have a grade of Satisfactory or Credit (‘S’ or ‘CR’) count towards the total credits. 499 courses are not counted in the total credits.
- Courses graded less than 2.7 do not count towards the total credits.
- At least 18 credits must be in courses numbered 500 and above.
- 18 credits must be numerically graded in department approved 400-level courses accepted as part of the major and in 500-level courses. This excludes 499 and transfer credits.
- No more than 6 graduate level quarter credits can be transferred from other academic institutions to count towards the total credits.
- No more than 12 UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits can be applied to the total credits.
- No more than 12 credits derived from any combination of UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits and transfer credits can be applied to the total credits.
- If a student repeats a non-repeatable class, only one set of credits counts towards the total credits.
- A minimum cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 3.00 is required for a graduate degree at the University
- The Master’s Degree Request must be filed according to posted quarterly dates and deadlines.
- Must complete all degree requirements within six years
- The timeframe/clock begins on the first day of the quarter that the Graduate student uses a course to satisfy degree requirements when he/she is coded as either a Graduate Non-matriculated student (department code with class 6) or as a Graduate student (department code with class 8) in the department to which he/she is admitted.
- UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits used towards the total credits are counted in the six years.
- Quarters spent On-Leave and out of status are counted in the six years.
- Must maintain registration through the end of the quarter in which the degree is conferred or, if eligible, pay the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee within 14 days following the last day of the quarter in which all degree requirements were met.
- Thesis track students are required to take a minimum of 9 thesis credits in their total credits.
- Thesis track students are required to submit their thesis to the Graduate School. See Thesis/Dissertation Information.