Postdoc Travel Awards
New Updates! Winter 2017 Postdoc Travel Awards winners are posted!
The UW Office of Postdoc Affairs intends to support the professional and career development of our postdocs by supporting travel to professional meetings. Limited funds are available each quarter to help postdocs defray some conference registration and travel costs under certain circumstances. The OPA travel awards are not intended to replace grant-funded support for grant-related presentations. We are here to fill in the gaps and, in particular, to promote independence and advance postdoc careers.
If postdocs are working on a funded project, they should talk with their supervisor and request that their expenses be covered by the project. Postdocs should also explore options with their departments, schools/colleges, or professional societies to see if there are additional travel funds available.
Winter 2017 Postdoc Travel Award Winners
||Biostatistics||The 2nd Symposium on Early Phase Trial Design Methodology|
|Matthew E. Long
||Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine||Gordon Research Seminar and Gordon Research Conference on Phagocytes|
|Rachel Vickery Aaron
||Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine||The Society for Affective Science|
|Amy E Stone
||Immunology||American Association of Immunologists Annual Meeting|
|Brenna N. Renn
||Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences||Society of Behavioral Medicine 2017 Annual Meeting|
|Kelly M Whitaker
||Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences||Society for Social Work Research|
||Mechanical Engineering||The 33rd International Seating Symposium 2017|
|Caitlin M Hudac
Applying for Funds and Application Due Dates
Awards are competitive and based on the quality and appropriateness of the requests. To apply for an award, please fill out the Postdoc Travel Award Application Form. Applications for travel funds will be reviewed quarterly according to the deadlines below.
- Postdoc travel awards are available to assist postdocs with travel to conferences so they may present papers or posters, or to serve as invited speakers, on their independent research.
- You must be confirmed as a presenter before funds are requested, and have a UW postdoc position through the time of the meeting.
- Individual awards are limited to one every other year.
- Priority will be given to projects that would not be otherwise covered by the current funding source or the faculty supervisor’s project.
Maximum Award Amounts
$300 for regional travel
$600 for national or international travel
Application Timeline for 2016-17
|Quarter||Application Submission Open||Application Deadline||Applicants Notified By|
|Autumn 2016||Sep. 27–Dec. 2, 2016||Dec. 2, 2016||Dec. 16, 2016|
|Winter 2017||Dec. 3, 2016–Mar. 3, 2017||Mar. 3, 2017||Mar. 17, 2017|
|Spring 2017||Mar. 4–May 26, 2017||May 26, 2017||Jun. 9, 2017|
|Summer 2017||May 27–Aug. 18, 2017||Aug. 18, 2017||Sep. 1, 2017|
Note: We recommend applying for Postdoc Travel Awards the quarter before the conference.
How to Submit a Travel Award Request
You will need to include the following information in the online Award Application.
- Conference name, location and dates
- Travel budget, including registration costs, airfare/ground travel, lodging
- Title of your presentation, paper or poster
- How this work demonstrates independence.
- If you have done independent work while funded on a faculty member’s grant, we would expect the faculty member or grant to support your travel. Please specify how this work is distinct from your faculty advisor’s work, or why they are unable to financially support your professional travel.
- If you have applied for other travel funding, and if so, the amount you have requested or will be receiving.
- Statement of professional importance of your participation in this particular meeting.
After Receiving the Funds and After the Conference
Within two weeks after the conference, postdocs who receive funding must submit a short, 1-2 paragraph article about their experience at the conference for the news section of the OPA e-newsletter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to include a picture from the conference if you have it. Acknowledgment of funding and a short report is an expectation of receiving the UW Postdoc Travel Award.
Past Postdoc Travel Award Winners
- Bonnie Lau, Speech and Hearing Sciences, Association for Research in Otolaryngology Midwinter Meeting
- Cara L. McDermott, Medicine, Cambia Palliative Care Center of Excellence, Annual Assembly of American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Allison L Skinner, Psychology, Society for Personality and Social Psychology Conference
- Viktoria Taroudaki, Pediatrics, Acoustical Society of America
- Gavin Tierney, Goodlad Institute for Educational Renewal, American Educational Research Association
- Phillip Baker, Psychology, Neuroscience 2016
- Michael Beyeler, UW Institute for Neuroengineering, Neuroscience 2016
- Elizabeth Duke, Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Infectious Disease Week
- Ping C. Mamiya, Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences, International Mind, Brain and Education Society
- Jennifer Shaver, Behavioral Research & Therapy Clinics, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy
- Mary Wallingford, Bioengineering, International Vascular Biology Meeting