Guidelines for New International Collaborations
Graduate School review is required for all formalized international collaborations involving a graduate degree or certificate program. The Graduate School’s Office of Academic Affairs & Planning coordinates this process. The review includes an evaluation of: alignment with existing graduate degree or certificate program requirements; coordination of the course of study between institutions; admission requirements; enrollment eligibility; and graduation requirements.
In addition to Graduate School review of the academic program, the Office of Global Affairs processes and manages the formal international agreement. This includes assuring engagement by relevant UW offices, including the Attorney General and the Graduate School, for alignment with university policies.
Both the Dean of the Graduate School and the Vice Provost for Global Affairs must approve and sign international agreements related to graduate education.
Sequence of Events for International Agreements Involving a Graduate Program
- Program Planning
- Review the information at Planning an International Collaboration for international collaborations involving graduate programs;
- Complete and submit to Office of Global Affairs the UW International Agreement Proposal Form;
- Contact the Graduate School’s Office of Academic Affairs & Planning (firstname.lastname@example.org) for guidance.
- Program Creation
- Coordinate with the Graduate School’s Office of Academic Affairs & Planning (email@example.com) regarding the academic program. Academic Affairs & Planning staff will advise program proposers on the structure of the program and will review both draft and final documents. This will include an assessment of any additional review required of the academic program, including whether a document related to the academic program is required in addition to the international agreement (e.g., for new/revised degrees or degree options).
- Contact the Office of Global Affairs to draft the international agreement. The Office of Global Affairs serves as the liaison to the Attorney General. Draft is reviewed by Office of Global Affairs and the Graduate School.
- Work with UW administrative offices on issues around: visas; enrollment/ registration/ graduation; tuition and fees; etc.
- Final Document Review
- International agreement: includes unit leadership; dean’s office/chancellor’s office; Office of Global Affairs; Graduate School; PCE for fee-based programs.
- Academic Program (if separate document for new/revised degrees or degree options): includes unit leadership; dean’s office/chancellor’s office; Graduate School.
- Final Approval
- Document flow will be determined by specifics of program.
- International agreement: UW signatories include the unit head (chair); dean’s office/chancellor’s office; Office of Global Affairs; Graduate School.
- Academic program (if separate document for new/revised degrees or options): final approval by Graduate School Dean or Board of Regents.
- Based on signed approval documents, Office of the Registrar creates any required degree codes in response to Graduate School request.
- Program proceeds with marketing, applications/admissions, etc.