Outreaching Grads Program
What is the OG Program?
The new Outreaching Grads Program is a comprehensive and collaborative outreach and recruitment program housed in GO-MAP of the Graduate School. The OG Program is launching this academic year with 25-30 master’s and doctoral students of color trained to assist GO-MAP, graduate departments, UW Bothell, UW Tacoma, and undergraduate registered student organizations in their efforts to expand graduate education and increase racial diversity at the University of Washington.
Approximately 24 “OGs” will be selected from UW Seattle, 3 from UW Bothell, and 3 from UW Tacoma to assist in efforts to attract and retain a robust racially and ethnically diverse graduate student body. The OG Program will focus on three key tenets to maximize and scale impact:
- Proactive student of color outreach and recruitment efforts tied to defined goals and measured outcomes
- Investment in professional development opportunities for OGs in the form of workshops and trainings
- Strengthen tri-campus partnerships
What is the role of an OG?
GO-MAP is committed to the excellence of graduate education through increasing racial diversity and investing in its graduate students of color. OGs will help create a more welcoming campus environment while assisting UW faculty, staff and departments in building a stronger pipeline into graduate education in the following ways:
- Provide one-on-one prospective student engagement
- Connect with undergraduate registered student organizations (RSOs)
- Participate in student panels, graduate student advancement networking opportunities, and other public speaking events
- Serve as a liaison to assess tri-campus diversity needs
How can I become an OG?
Graduate students of color interested in becoming an OG may apply online. For more information, please contact Carolyn Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can a department request the assistance of an OG?
We are happy to send OGs to departmental functions or have them visit one-on-one with prospective students or groups. We do ask, however, that your request be submitted one week in advance. To request that an OG meet with or contact your prospective student(s), please contact Carolyn Jackson at email@example.com.